meditation must begin with arousing deep compassion.
Whatever one does must emerge from an attitude of love and
order to make the most out of any meditation, it is strongly advised
to start with a good motivation beforehand and to dedicate the
positive energy afterwards.
For this, the following traditional prayers can be used, but you
can use any thoughts you feel comfortable with; as long as they
for refuge to the Buddha,
I go for refuge to the Dharma,
I go for refuge to the Sangha. (3x)
the Mind to Enlightenment
virtue of giving and so forth,
may I become a Buddha for the benefit of all sentient beings.
all sentient beings have equanimity, free from attachment, aggression
May they be happy, and have the causes for happiness.
May they be free from suffering and causes for suffering.
May they never be separated from the happiness that is free from
I prostrate with body, speech and mind;
I present clouds of every type of offerings, actual and imagined;
I declare all the negative actions I have done since beginningless
and rejoice in the merit of all Aryas and ordinary beings.
Please teacher, remain until cyclic existence ends
and turn the wheel of Dharma for all sentient beings.
I dedicate the virtues of myself and others to the great Enlightenment.
this virtue may I soon
reach a Guru-Buddha-state,
and lead each and every being
to that state of Buddhahood.
May the precious Bodhicitta
not yet born, arise and grow
may that born have no decline
but increase forever more.
THE BREATH - THE REAL BASICS
the preliminaries, concentrate on the tip of your nose, and feel
the breath going in and out.
To help your concentration, you can count every out-breath as
one, and count from 1 to 10. When you arrived at 10, simply start
at 1 again. All the attention is with the feeling of the nose
and the counting, nothing more, nothing less.
Regularly check yourself if you are still concentrated, do not
get angry when distracted, simply return to counting from 1.
Just before the end of the session, release the concentration
on the counting and the tip of your nose, and simply be aware
of how you feel for a minute or so.
Then dedicate the positive energy of the session to whichever
goal you like, use for example above prayers.
ON THE HEAD
on the crown of your head a lump of gold-coloured butter.
- It slowly melts, and wherever it runs down over your body, all
stress and tension in the body disappears.
- Very slowly the butter flows over your forehead, all muscles
- It runs down over your eyes and cheeks..., your whole face relaxes.
- Along the back of your head... your neck... shoulders; feel
how much tension is there and let it go....
- Arms and hands.... the chest.. belly....
- Along the spine, the entire back relaxes...your legs and feet...
- The entire body is covered in golden butter and you radiate
- Go over the whole body again and breathe out all the remaining
very effective method to relax the body by stressing all the muscles,
holding that 5 to 10 seconds, and then releasing the tension.
or lie in a relaxed way.
- Put an extremely tense expression on the face, straining as
many face muscles as possible. Take a deep breath and forcefully
hold it. ......
- Now slowly release the breath and the tension of all the face
muscles, feel as if you breathe out all stress.
- Inhale deeply again and stress all neck and shoulder muscles....
then let go
- Inhale, make fists and stress the arms... let go
- Inhale, stress chest, belly and back.... let go
- Inhale, stress buttocks, legs and feet... let go
- If you still feel tension at some places, just stay relaxed,
don't hold the breath now, but release all the tension while breathing
- Enjoy your relaxed body
PAST AND FUTURE
the hands, palms down on the legs and watch the breath
- When the mind wanders off to thoughts of the past, gently tap
your left leg
- When the mind wanders off to thoughts of the future, gently
tap your right leg
- Whenever a thought arises, mentally note "memory"
or "fantasy", then return to the breath.
the attention to your breath and sensory experiences
- Whenever you notice something, mentally note: "feeling",
"hearing", "tasting", "smelling",
- Note the senses, but do not start talking with yourself, only
note the experience and go back to the breath.
the attention mainly to the breath and sensory experiences; in
addition, note your emotional experiences.
a particular feeling comes up, mentally note it; as "liking",
"dis-liking", "anger", "sad", "fear",
"resentment", "anxiety", "guilt"
etc. and let it go
- Do not get involved with the emotions, only note them and return
to awareness of the breath.
OUT, LIGHT IN
breathing out, imagine that all your negative energies, mistakes,
misunderstanding and emotions leave your body with the breath.
Visualise this energy as black smoke, which goes out into space
and completely disappears.
- While breathing in, imagine that all the positive energy of
the universe enters your body with the breath. Visualise this
positive energy as pure white light which enters all the parts
of your body, it pervades every cell and atom. Enjoy this clear
- If you feel comfortable, use every breath to inhale light and
to exhale black smoke and problems.
- When distracted by other thoughts, simply observe them without
getting involved; transform them into black smoke and breathe
above the crown of your head a white ball of light, somewhat smaller
than your head. It has no real form and is pure white energy.
Do not concentrate on details, just try to feel it is there.
- Imagine that the light embodies all the pure love of the universe,
the accomplishment of the highest potential of living beings.
- Visualise the ball becomes smaller, about the size of your thumb,
and it enters the crown of your head, and descends to the level
of your heart.
- Now the light expands and fills your entire body. All the material
of the body dissolves into light. What remains is a body of light
- Concentrate on the feeling this light-body gives, all problems
and negativities are gone, only peace and happiness is left.
- When distracting thoughts arise, simply dissolve them in the
is a pre-tantric purification practice in which you visualise
the main 3 energy channels in the body. It is used in the beginning
of a meditation session (after the prayers of refuge etc.) to
calm and clear the mind in only a minute or so.
Make your breath somewhat longer and deeper, but don't exaggerate,
if possible one should not hear the breathing. If you have a cold
and one or both nostrils are clogged, just imagine breathing through
the different nostrils.
the body as being completely empty and transparent, then inside
it appears the Central Channel.
The Central Channel starts between the eyebrows, continues back
just under the skull, and from the crown of the head it goes straight
down to the level of four finger-widths under the navel, it stays
a little in front of the spine. It is like a transparent blue
tube, about the thickness of a thick drinking straw.
To the left and to the right are two side-channels, both transparent
and the thickness of only a drinking-straw. The right channel
is red, the left is white.
The three channels are flexible and just below the navel they
connect with each other.
the first round of breathing, INHALE through the LEFT nostril,
keeping the right nostril closed with a finger. We imagine the
air going from the left nostril into the left channel, up near
the crown and way down to under the navel. There, the left channel
is connected to the right channel, and we BREATHE OUT through
the RIGHT CHANNEL by closing the left nostril with the same finger.
Imagine breathing in pure white light, and when exhaling, imagine
that all DESIRE AND ATTACHMENT which pollutes the left channel
collects at the navel and leaves via the right channel as black
smoke. The black smoke disappears beyond the universe. Repeat
this 3 times.
Then the next round we INHALE white light via the RIGHT nostril,
and all ANGER AND HATRED which pollutes the right channel collects
below the navel and is EXHALED via the LEFT channel as black smoke.
Again, do this 3 times.
The third round we INHALE white light via the LEFT AND RIGHT channel
together and imagine them both being connected to the central
channel below the navel. This CENTRAL CHANNEL is polluted by IGNORANCE
AND CONFUSION which is breathed out as black smoke. Imagine that
you BREATHE OUT via the POINT BETWEEN the EYEBROWS.
do this not more than 2 or 3 rounds.